Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Day 55: Reenergized

Doing Less Gave Me More

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twicepix/4140229373/sizes/m/in/photostream/
It's hard for me to stop thinking about school. 

I notice it when I'm watching a game on tv, but couldn't tell anyone what was really going on.  I notice it when I'm reading a story to my daughter just before bed and I have to keep rereading words I've read wrong because I'm thinking about school at the same time (It's a good thing my kid thinks it's funny).  It really is hard for me to shut it off sometimes.

My favorite way to unwind at night is to check out Twitter or to read the news stories and blog posts on my RSS reader on my phone, but both my Twitter account and RSS reader is full of education-related information.  It's great because I keep learning everyday, but it keeps me focused on work.

A sampling of "leisure reading" from my RSS reader.

I'm not complaining.  I love what I do.  I'm passionate about teaching and teaching is a huge part of who I am.  But this past winter break helped me learn something important about leaving work at work.  I learned to relax.

I stopped looking at Twitter.  I stopped checking email.  I just spent time with my family and friends and let the rest go.  I had a feeling that it would pay off when we returned to school, and I was right.

Today, I was focused and reenergized.  I had clarity to see what the next important item on my to-do list was.  I was more patient with kids and more patient with myself.  I'm looking forward to what the rest of the school year will bring to the students, families and staff at my school.

There still will be times when I won't be able to sleep at night because I am thinking of something at school.  However, I now have this recent experience to remind me that doing less will get me more in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment