Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 71: Reflecting on Math

Doing my taxes helped me understand kids who sometimes struggle with math.



I don't know what got into me.  One beautiful, cold January morning, I decided to begin working on filing my income taxes.  I didn't know it would take me 5 solid hours, which made me regret even starting on the task.  However, I found myself thinking the same thought  the entire time: This must be what kids feel like when they don't get math.

I can't count how many times I was frustrated and didn't know what to do next.  I crumpled paper, grumbled, and got up just to get away from the problem.  Midway through, I began to keep track of all of the things I had to do just to get through my math problem:
  • Got up/moved around
  • crumpled paper
  • bent paper clips
  • worked out math on scrap paper
  • asked a question on Google
  • looked up two forms on the IRS website
  • talked to my wife 
  • played Angry Birds online
  • searched for child care documents
  • used a calculator
  • got a drink of water
  • ate lunch
  • took a break by checking Google News 
  • reorganized personal files
Looking back at the list shows me that I like to have the chance to get away from the problem to give my brain a break and that I needed lots of tools to complete the task (one other tool I didn't mention was that I used an online tax prep service to "tutor" me through all of this).

When I think about my experience, I started to think, "This is probably the same way kids are feeling sometimes."  Also, look back at all of the things I needed just to be successful on my math problem.  It helped me understand just how important it is to give kids access to tools and allow them enough time to be successful with their math problems.  



No comments:

Post a Comment