Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Day 48: Sharon Esswein, Hilliard City Schools

Writing as a Gift

I see it everyday when I awake…our grand daughter’s letter to us saying how she loves us SO much that her heart is going to BURST with JOY.  Those simple yet powerful words mean more to me than any other gift anyone could ever give to me.  In fact, those words are so special to me that I put them in a frame.  



This got me thinking about Ralph Fletcher’s story in his book titled Poetry Matters where he tells about being a college student with no money at Christmas time.  He decides to write a poem for each family member.  Ralph stays up all night, writing, and then rolls up each piece, carefully tying them with ribbons and tucking them into the appropriate stockings.  He awakes to hear his little sister’s excited voice when she discovers her poem.   

Think about giving the gift of writing to your nearest and dearest this season.  Writing touches hearts.



Sharon Esswein is a Teacher Leader for Hilliard City Schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment