Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Day 1: Rebecca, 5th Grade student

What I learned about studying

from flickr: "Studying" by Sterlic


Last year, Rebecca realized something: how she studied wasn't working for her.  "Last year, I didn't study so well.  So this year, I'm trying something new."

Last week, Rebecca got the results on a recent social studies assessment, and she didn't like what she saw.  Mrs. Humm, Rebecca's teacher encouraged her and other students to study over the weekend for a retest on Monday.  This was Rebecca's chance to try something new.

"I studied for an hour.  I put the study sheet in the kitchen away from me and I went to my room with my social studies book.  I wrote the answers to the study sheet and checked then went to the kitchen to check them.  If they weren't all correct, I would go back into my room and study.  I checked the study sheet about 5 or 6 times."

On Monday, Rebecca took the test again.  She got 100% of the questions right.

"When I saw I got a 100% on the test I was happy and smiling, and my eyes got a little watery.  That was something that never happened before."

Rebecca learned a new way to study, a way that works for her and that gets her the results she desires.

Rebecca is a 5th grade student in Mrs. Humm's class.  She likes dogs and hanging out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment