Thursday, September 13, 2012

Day 3: Herb Higginbotham, teacher

Think different

http://flickriver.com/photos/myluke/sets/749689/

I was a senior in high school when Apple's "Think Different" campaign came out and I still remember the impression it left on me.  Through that ad I understood that people who changed the world thought about the world in a different way.

Since I began teaching, I've always wanted to do something big, something that would leave an impression.  I'm attracted to big ideas, and when I saw projects like edu180atl and 184 Days of Learning, I saw an opportunity to share the learning we do at Hilliard Horizon Elementary each day.

What's funny, though, is that through doing something like HZN165, I've learned that doing something big isn't the only way to leave an impression.

What I've realized is that we can make positive differences by doing the not-so-big-things...the things we often don't think about.

We can listen closely to someone and really try to understand what they are saying.
We can think about a situation before we react.
We can tell someone how happy they make us.

It's as simple as that.  Sometimes we just need to think different.


Herb Higginbotham is a father of two beautiful girls and has been married to Carrie for 9 years.  He is an intervention teacher at Hilliard Horizon Elementary.  He tweets, sometimes, on Twitter (@hhigginbotham).   







No comments:

Post a Comment