Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 26: Honesty from an Author

Finally: Some Honesty About Writing


 Barbara O'Connor's tweet about writing first drafts.


You know that it's okay to think that first drafts are not fun to write when a successful author thinks so too.


Barbara O'Connor is a children's book author who has written many great books such as How to Steal a Dog, On the Way to Mr. Mineo's and (my favorite) Greetings From Nowhere.



She tweeted her thoughts on first drafts this summer on Twitter (@barbaraoconnor), and I had to save it so that I could share it with kids.  I like that she's honest about the challenges of writing.  It fits in with my philosophy of always being truthful with students, especially with challenges.  Our job as teachers is not to hide challenges from students.  We are supposed to help students recognize what's challenging and then help them find a solution to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment